Yesterday I went to IMATS for the first time. It was exciting and overwhelming with a couple of minor irritations.
Great discounts and colours from NARS
Body art using Make Up Forever
I knew that IMATS would be present a huge opportunity to blow the budget so I spent quite a bit of time on Friday looking at the exhibitors and deciding where I would spend my money. The first thing that I decided was NOT to buy anything that I could easily / regularly get from a department store/high street on any given Sunday. So despite Make Up Forever NYX, NARS, MAC and Inglot all having large stands, significant discounts and even larger crowds… I walked past them all.
Gorgeous Purples from Inglot
Nail colour galore from Inglot
I wanted to speak to people and find out about their ranges, so I learnt lots about MUD, Mehron, Graftobian, Kyrolan and Kett. All of which are Pro make up ranges and all of which had countless shades for everybody from palest porcelain to deepest ebony. For these ranges cream foundation is king and the level of pigmentation is beyond anything seen on the high street. I was very very tempted by all of them but I know that I need to learn more about the application techniques before I step into that world.
MUD Foundation Palettes
The main thing that I wanted was the BrushSoClean sanitiser but the card machine on the stand was constantly down… and the queue for the cash machine inside Olympia was beyond ridiculous. Despite three attempts, I had to let that one go.
Pigments from NAKED
Overall it was a good day … and I took a few pictures…
London Brush Company Brush Roll
London Brush Company Brush Cleaner
Graftobian Foundation Palettes
Graftobian HD Powder
EX1 – for Asian skintones
Body Art using Kryolan
Colour from LA Splash
Powder foundations from Celebre Pro
Bdellium Tools (vegan brushes)
Transformations with silicone… yes, she is a real person!
Tools of the trade from Alcone (sponges and puffs)
And made a few purchases.
Brushes from Royal and Langnickel’s Silk Pro Range
Kryolan Metallic Cream Shadows
If you are planning to go to IMATS, here are a few tips:
- Think about what you want to buy before you get there and stick to your budget – there are lots of stands and lots people, but is the twenty percent discount on the day any better than what you can get in the sale?
- Take cash – it will save you ALOT of time and hassle, and will help you stick to your budget.
- If you are planning to buy books, be aware that they add VAT to the price at the till – it is not advertised anywhere on the stand, so it is a shock to have that added at the end. I did ask the stall holder if it would be possible to advertise it and it is not usual in the UK to have VAT added at the till… but she gave me a look that would have sent me six feet under if looks could kill.
- Use it as an opportunity to learn about products as well as to buy – It is not often that you get lots of brands and industry specialists in the same room. Learn as much as you can.
- Wear flat shoes – it’s a rookie mistake. I was wearing heels and looking super cute… but after a few hours my feet were killing me.
- The bag that they give you is empty. Yep, no samples, no swag no goodies to take away with you. Tickets were forty pounds or more….with over 90 exhibitors… #justsayin
- Enjoy it – there was soo many people looking miserable… but you are in an exhibition hall surrounded by make up – and beauty professionals – what’s not to love???