Crabtree and Evelyn’s Handy Tips Handed Down event continued this evening the flagship Regent Street Store with a talk from beauty entrepreneur Jo Fairley. Most famous perhaps for her work on the various iterations of the Beauty Bible, Jo has recently launched a new venture called The Perfume Society. A site where you can immerse yourself in the world of perfume. Crabtree and Evelyn have received thousands of tips since the Handy Tips Handed Down campaign began. In keeping with the tips handed down theme, Jo gave some of her top tips from a range of sources.
- After washing your hair, use apple cider vinegar in the final rinse. (Jo’s mum)
- Sleep – get lots of it. Attempt to close down your devices by 9pm and try not to start your day with Instagram.
- Every time you apply hand cream stop and smell the fragrance – take those few moments for yourself every day.
Shopping for fragrance can be overwhelming – Jo’s handy tips are as follows:-
- Your nose is a very undervalued sense – it has the power to bring back the dead…( ie a smell can evoke a memory of a person who may have died!)
- Walk through fragrance rather then spraying it onto pulse points. That way it scents your hair as you and you get to enjoy the fragrance as much as those around you. (Estee Lauder)
- Having a wardrobe of fragrances rather then one signature scent. If you just wear one fragrance all the time, you get accustomed to it and become immune to it. Wear different fragrances to stimulate the sense.
- Test fragrances on blotters first. Make sure you put the name of the fragrance onto each blotter. Alternative smell the cap of the bottle.
- ‘Guerilla perfume sprayers’ in department stores don’t help. If you are shopping for a fragrance, dont try more then two or three at any one time otherwise your nose becomes overwhelmed. Say no to the ‘guerilla sprayers’!
- The best way to find a fragrance that you love generally is to stay within your preferred fragrance family. If you love fresh fragrances, find another scent in that family
- Perfume society launching lots of events. You can strengthen your sense of smell.
- Don’t rub pulse points together after you have sprayed the perfume because it interferes with the oils in the fragrance. Don’t rush the process – spray the perfume and wait.
- The Lilly of the Valley fragrance that Crabtree and Evelyn do is one of the best and one of the most affordable.
If you want to strengthen your sense of smell or are looking to find out more about perfume, head to www.perfumesociety.org
If you love Lilly scented products, this gift set from Crabtree and Evelyn is worth considering.